Saturday, April 21, 2012

Early morning in the valley

"Want to cycle the fields early tomorrow morning?"

I bribed my friend Becky with a promise of homemade pecan caramel rolls and we set out as the sun rose.


Crisp morning air. 
Birds singing.

Soon we were biking along the fields of dewy tulips just as the sun came over the Cascades.


The tourists hadn't arrived yet. 


There were a few professional photographers and the field workers but other than that we had the beauty to ourselves.



The fields stretched in vibrant colors... I fell in the mud, slipping as we pumped our way across the slick puddley farm track. 


Truth be told, I was probably so dazzled by those fields that I wasn't paying enough attention.





Then out across the valley again, past fields of berries and cabbages, past barns and tractors...
 toward home.





Life in the Skagit Valley.

For me, truly there's no place like home.